A Message from Barbara Selvaggi
Youth and Family Ministry Coordinator
Every youth has great value and worth.
- To empower and support our children, teens, families, and volunteers as they grow and develop spiritually.
- To provide a safe, nurturing, and unconditionally loving environment to learn and understand who we are: Unique individuals here to express Christ within.
- To educate and encourage daily living of the 5 Basic Unity Principles and Universal Laws of Truth in all our relationships and activities.
I am inspired every day to support a program which shares the Unity tools for living a joyful, loving and prosperous life with our children and teens.
What a gift to be nurtured and raised with the 5 Unity Principles (adapted for children and teens):
- God is all good and active in everything, everywhere.
- I am naturally good because God’s Divinity is in me and in everyone.
- I create my experiences by what I choose to think and what I feel and believe.
- Through affirmative prayer and meditation, I connect with God and bring out the good in my life.
- I do and give my best by living the Truth I know. I make a difference!
From Myrtle Fillmore, Unity’s Co-Founder
"Our mission is not to entertain the children, but to call them out. To be always entertained is to be dwarfed and dependent. To be ‘called out’ is to follow the harmonious law of the soul’s unfoldment. Who meddles with the rosebud? What fingers are deft enough to pry open the marvel of that folded beauty? We are wise enough to leave it alone to follow the glad law of its own unfolding, but our children! Have we dealt with these buds of marvelous possibilities? Have we always remembered that they, too, must quicken and unfold through the innate law of their own genius?"
The Truth is that each of us has EVERYTHING WE NEED within us. Our youth programs do not strive to “stuff information in” but to create an opening for moments of self-discovery, self-realization and self-empowerment for our youth and the volunteers who are blessed to serve them. Our Youth and Family Ministry invites you and your family to join us in celebration of the Divine within.
Provocative Possibility Statement
As the Youth and Family Ministry of Unity of Portland, we cultivate the spiritual growth and transformation of all families: nuclear, extended, spiritual, and global. To experience our total connectedness, we have created opportunities that nurture the spiritual illumination of all ages - wee ones to wise ones. We embrace the child in every adult and the adult in every child. We serve all forms of family. Through activities and experiences for children and adults, we bond, have fun and recognize and celebrate the Truth of one another. With an exceptional educational curriculum and powerful youth programs, we inspire the spiritual growth of children of all ages. No Inner Child Left Behind.